There is a really interesting report done by the Children’s Defense Fund on the “State of American Children” that can be found here.
There are lots of interesting statistics, but check out these two – first, how American ranks among industrialized countries in investing and protecting our children (it is nearly appalling to see the contrast between what we are first in and what we lag so far behind in). Second, check out everyday moments for all children in America:
How America Ranks Among Industrialized Countries in Investing in and Protecting Children
- 1st in gross domestic product
- 1st in number of billionaires
- 1st in number of persons incarcerated
- 1st in health expenditures
- 1st in military technology
- 1st in defense expenditures
- 1st in military weapons exports
- 21st in 15-year-olds’ science scores
- 21st in low birthweight rates
- 25th in 15-year-olds’ math scores
- 28th in infant mortality rates
- Last in relative child poverty
- Last in the gap between the rich and the poor
- Last in adolescent birth rates (ages 15 to 19)
- Last in protecting our children against gun violence
Moments in America for All Children
- Every second a public school student is suspended.*
- Every 11 seconds a high school student drops out.*
- Every 19 seconds a child is arrested.
- Every 19 seconds a baby is born to an unmarried mother.
- Every 20 seconds a public school student is corporally punished.*
- Every 32 seconds a baby is born into poverty.
- Every 41 seconds a child is confirmed as abused or neglected.
- Every 42 seconds a baby is born without health insurance.
- Every minute a baby is born to a teen mother.
- Every minute a baby is born at low birthweight.
- Every 4 minutes a child is arrested for a drug offense.
- Every 7 minutes a child is arrested for a violent crime.
- Every 18 minutes a baby dies before his or her first birthday.
- Every 45 minutes a child or teen dies from an accident.
- Every 3 hours a child or teen is killed by a firearm.
- Every 5 hours a child or teen commits suicide.
- Every 6 hours a child is killed by abuse or neglect.
- Every 15 hours a mother dies from complications of childbirth or pregnancy.